To meet growing demands for electricity, theColumbia Water and Power Companyconstructed this power plant, the ColumbiaHydro Plant, in 1896. It replaced the 1894power facility upstream. This Hydro Plant providedpower for city lights, trolleys and manufacturingplants. Still operating with its original turbines, itis owned by the City of Columbia, and operated by SCG&E. The brick powerhouse contains seventurbine-generators with a total of 10,600 kilowatts, and produces about 48 million kilowatts per year.