At this point, Atlanta's outer defense line, beginning at Casey's Hill 5.75 W., turned S. & parallel to Highland Ave., ran to the Ga. R.R. This angle was occupied July 18, 1864, by Stevenson's div. Cheatham A.C. (CS) (Hood's old command).July 19, 20. These troops withstood the advances of Fed. 4th & 23d. A.C. from N. & E. while Hardee's & Stewarts's A.C. (CS) attached Thomas' army in Peachtree Cr. valley. Cheatham withdrew to the city defenses, night of the 21st, while Hardee & Wheeler made the night march S. to attack McPherson's forces in E. Atlanta, on the 22d. When Cheatham withdrew, the 4th & 23d. A.C. advanced to the siege line.