"The beauty of a city is largely dependent upon the artistic ideas and abilities of its architects and Staunton is certainly to be congratulated on having in its midst that eminent firm of architects, T.J. Collins & Son. whose work is memorialized not only on many magnificent structures in Staunton, but by hundreds of others in every section of the south."
The description above is from 1906 when T. J. Collins had practiced in Staunton for 15 years. Collins moved to Staunton from Washington, D. C. and designed or remodeled nearly 200 structures of all kinds, including St. Francis Catholic Church, Augusta County Courthouse, Thornrose Cemetery, C & O Railroad Station, and much of the Staunton Military Academy campus. His offices were on the 3rd floor of this building which he also designed.