War Time HospitalThis Church, organized September 2, 1837, before the Cherokee Indians were removed from this area, was the first church organized by white settlers in the bounds of the present Catoosa County, according to available records. The organizers were a group of Scotch Irish Presbyterians from Tennessee or the Carolinas and the charter members were: Robert Magill, James H. McSpadden, Robert C. Cain, Sarah Black, Alfred McSpadden, Fanny Magill, Susan McSpadden, Winfred Cain, Margaret Cain and Nancy Tipton. This building of sandstone quarried nearby, was erected in 1850 and following the Battle of Ringgold, November 27, 1863, was used as a hospital. Blood stains are still visible n the floor. It remained a Presbyterian Church until about 1920 when it was sold to a Methodist congregation which maintained it for some years. It then passed into private hands and to save it from destruction a group of descendants of the early members raised a fund and purchased it, deeding it to a board of trustees to be used for religious purposes. In recent years it has been used by various denominations.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 17th, 2014 at 2:00am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 675690 N 3864311|
|Decimal Degrees||34.90605000, -85.07698333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 54.363', W 85° 4.619'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 54' 21.78" N, 85° 4' 37.14" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 8379 Old Cemetery Rd, Tunnel Hill GA 30755, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.