Governors Island Cannon
— Historic Millersburg —The G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) Post 212 and the Millersburg Sentinel together raised the money to have a Civil War monument erected. The soldier and the base were quarried and cut in Italy. The soldier stands 6 feet and weighs 900 pounds. The overall height with base is 14 feet, 6 inches. The bronze plate bears the names of the 126 men who served in the Civil War. The total cost of the monument was $740.00 and the cost to ship from Italy as $55.00. The soldier arrived in Millersburg in August 1913 and was erected in October 1913 in West Park by J.S. Heckert, a local marble dealer. The dedication was to be held on Thanksgiving, but was postponed until May 30, 1914. The unveiling was done by Florence Cordes Jusy, daughter of Henry Cordes, veteran and active member of the G.A.R. post. The speaker for the occasion was Pennsylvania Adjutant General Thos. J. Stewart.
|Placed By||Upper Paxton & Millersburg Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 10:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 333896 N 4489428|
|Decimal Degrees||40.53896667, -76.96136667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 32.338', W 76° 57.682'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 32' 20.28" N, 76° 57' 40.92" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 173-199 Market St, Millersburg PA 17061, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.