In 1936, a young attorney from the Victory community began investigating the possibility of bringing electric service to rural farms and homes in the West Georgia area. Together with rural merchants, farmers, a preacher and a mail carrier, they formed the Carroll Rural Electric Association. The association used a loan from the Rural Electrification Administration to construct 117 miles of line to serve 344 residents of Carroll and Heard Counties. On July 31, 1937, the "Carrollton" substation was energized here to provide electricity to the communities of Victory, Tyus, Stoney Point, Burwell, Star Point, Bowdon Junction, Center Point, Hickory Level and others. This marked the humble beginning of Carroll Electric Membership Corporation.