Trinity ChurchNewark's second oldest house of worship was organized in the 1730s, and chartered by the Church of England (forerunner of the Episcopal Church in America) in 1746. Part of the tower dates from 1743, but most of the present church was built in 1810. It was designed by Capt. Josiah James, a leading parishioner, in a medley of styles. Trinity was designated the cathedral in the Diocese of Newark in 1944. It is the nation's oldest Episcopal cathedral building, and the mother church of many New Jersey parishes. St. Philip's Church merged with Trinity in 1966. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
|Placed By||Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 7:37am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 570139 N 4510269|
|Decimal Degrees||40.74038333, -74.16926667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 44.423', W 74° 10.156'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 44' 25.38" N, 74° 10' 9.36" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||973, 201, 862|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 608 Broad St, Newark NJ 07102, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.