The original church, with another name and at another location, was built in 1845, rebuilt in Kingston in 1854, and dedicated by Rev. Lovick Pierce, a leading preacher of the nation and father of Bishop George F. Pierce. The only church remaining after Shermanmarch through here, it opened its doors freely to all denominations, creating such a spirit of fellowship that children of the generation grew up feeling there was only one church. It was Kingston schoolhouse, too. For many years Confederate Memorial Day serviceswere held at the church. Among its ablest pastors have been Gen. Clement A. Evans, Simon Peter Richardson, Lovick Pierce, Bishop George F. Pierce, Dr. W. H. Felton. Sam P. Jones have preached here, while Mrs. Lem Gilreath and Mrs. Mary Harris Armor have held temperance rallies.
The large, handsome bell in this church, a gift of John Pendleton King, U.S. Senator, president of the W. & A. Railroad, for whom Kingston is named, for 100 years has been the town fire alarm and has announced the return of peace after four years. It can be heardover a radius of four miles. In 1906 the church was rebuilt on its present location.
Comments 0 comments