Morven Park in the Civil WarYou are standing in the midst of the drilling and review grounds for Confederate soldiers between the summer of 1861 and March 1862. Former Baltimore mayor and future Maryland governor Thomas Swann, Jr. owned the 1,200-acre plantation but was absent. Confederate forces fortified nearby Leesburg, located close to the Potomac River and its many fords, to keep the Union army from crossing the river. Morven Park became an encampment and training site for Confederate forces until they abandoned Leesburg early in March 1862. Until then, the 4th South Carolina Infantry, 8th Virginia Infantry, and 17th Mississippi Infantry called "Swann's Castle" home.
|Series||This marker is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Virginia Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 11:43pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 277672 N 4335410|
|Decimal Degrees||39.13951667, -77.57241667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 8.371', W 77° 34.345'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 8' 22.26" N, 77° 34' 20.70" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||703, 540, 571|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 17169-17321 Southern Planter Ln, Leesburg VA 20176, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.