Mount Vernon Nazarene UniversityLakeholm was built as the home of Columbus Delano while serving as Secretary of the Interior under President Ulysses S. Grant from 1870 to 1875. Delano (1809-1896) came to Mount Vernon in 1817, attended public schools, studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1831. In addition to practicing law in Mount Vernon and serving as the Prosecuting Attorney of Knox County, Delano was a farmer, mill owner, and politician. Lakeholm, originally part of a 300-acre farm, contains many of its original rooms and Italianate features. In 1966, 209 acres of the farm were acquired for the establishment of the Mount Vernon Nazarene College. The house served as offices, meeting rooms, and classrooms. In 2002, the college became a university and continues to use Lakeholm for administrative offices. Historic Lakeholm is a focal point on the Mount Vernon Nazarene University campus and a symbol of the institution's ties with the Mount Vernon community.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Mount Vernon Nazarene University and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 10:08pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 374911 N 4470013|
|Decimal Degrees||40.37131667, -82.47341667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 22.279', W 82° 28.405'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 22' 16.74" N, 82° 28' 24.30" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||740, 419|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 800-818 Martinsburg Rd, Mt Vernon OH 43050, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.