Public Square, Circa 1894 · Tent Chapel and School, circa 1899.When Mormon settlers came to Mesquite Flats in 1894, they designed the southeast corner of this block as the Public Square. It was a place where the community gathered for many events. At this site a tent was set up circa 1899 for use as a chapel and a school. It was 16' x 16' with no windows, no heat, a dirt floor, and only logs to sit on.
Block School, circa 1922. The Block School, so-named because it was made of cement block, had four classrooms and an auditorium. It stood on the southeast corner of the block until it was replaced with a new campus in the 1960's. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints rented the schoolhouse for meetings and gatherings for several years.
Gymnasium, circa 1938.This red brick gymnasium was built adjacent to the Block School and became the center of recreation for the community. The gymnasium was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. It represents Italian Renaissance REvival style architecture. Construction of the gymnasium was funded through the federal Public Works Administration (WPA) program.
Comments 0 comments