Named in honor of John Caldwell Calhoun, (1782-1850), the Old South's most admired statesman and profound philosopher and America's most influential spokesman for state's rights.
From 1808 to 1810 he served his state as a member of the S.C. House of Representatives. Between 1811 and 1850 he served in the federal government as congressman, as secretary of war, twice as vice-president, as secretary of state, and as senator.
Calhoun was a brilliant parliamentarian, an able administrator, and a patriotic American. In 1957, the U.S. Senate voted Calhoun one of America's five "outstanding" senators of the past. (The others were Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, Robert M. LaFollette, and Robert B. Taft.)
Calhoun's home "Fort Hill" is located on nearby Clemson University Campus, Pickens County. He is interred in St. Philip's Churchyard, Charleston, S.C.
Comments 0 comments