The Freestone Fisheries played an important role in Leesylvania's past. Their successful operation, given the plentiful numbers of fish in the Potomac, provided a significant income to the successive proprietors of the Leesylvania estate. The Lee family conducted business in the fishing industry until they sold the property to Henry Fairfax in 1825. The fisheries at Freestone Point remained in operation until the end of the nineteenth century. Remains of the Civil War era fish houses, pictured below, can still be seen on this shoreline.
George Washington described the high quality of the Potomac river fishery in the following quote: "A river well-stocked with various kinds of fish at all seasons of the year, and in the spring with shad, herrings, bass, carp, perch, sturgeon, etc. in great abundance...the whole...is one entire fishery."