In their Springdale houses they
shared the joys of music and
the visual arts with friends,
family, students and faculty.
1893 - 1969
570 SPRINGDALE was designed by architect Ed Wade and built in 1941 by Sam Wright for musician HUGH HODGSON and his wife JESSIE. Here colleagues and visitingcelebrities rehearsed the weekly lecture-concert Music Appreciation evenings beloved by town and gown alike. From 1928 to 1960, HODGSON — pianist,conductor, composer, educator and tennis ace — chaired the University of Georgia's division of fine arts. He created glee clubs, a symphony orchestra,and a statewide music symposium. Hodgson performed more than 1200 personal concerts in America and Europe. With neighbor Lamar Dodd, he sought to elevate all Georgians' esthetic taste and enjoyment of music and art. Journalist Ralph McGill called Hodgson "the Johnny Appleseed of music."
OPPOSITE SIDE OF MARKER:
590 SPRINGDALE was built in 1941 by Mathis Construction Company for artist LAMAR DODD and his wife, MARY. Here Dodd painted while he created at theUniversity of Georgia "the finest art department in the South." Considered the premier artist born in Georgia in the 20th century, Dodd sought the essentialtruth in nature and in mankind's relationship to our world. His paintings hang in New York`s Whitney and Metropolitan and Atlanta's High museums, in theGeorgia Museum of Art which he helped to found, in the Lamar Dodd Art Center in his home town of LaGrange, Georgia, and in public and privatecollections worldwide. With neighbor Hugh Hodgson he shared the goal of making the fine arts a part of every Georgian`s life.
Comments 0 comments