and other Fredericksburg Cemeteries
The park around you was once known as the Corporation Burying Ground. Burials occurred here from 1787 through 1853 and included Dr. Charles Mortimer, who had been Mary Washington's personal physician. He also served as Fredericksburg's first mayor, under the 1781 charter granted by the Virginia Assembly, independent of the British Crown. Following the Civil War, the graves and stones were removed and the cemetery converted to its current use as Hurkamp Park.
Fredericksburg encompasses many cemeteries, most of which are open to the public. Collectively they illustrate the broad patterns of history, including Colonial settlement, independence from Britain, the Civil War, the African-American experience, and foreign wars. The descriptions to the right briefly introduce these places. You are invited to explore them further.
Captions on the map detailing each cemetery:Civil War Burials
- During the period 1862 to 1864. Fredericksburg felt the impact of war, its streets became a battlefield, many of its buildings served as hospitals, open areas around them became burying grounds. After the war, some of these buried soldiers were retrieved by their families, but most most were moved to the National Cemetery.
Thornton - Forbes - Washington Cemetery
- Burials in this family cemetery range from 1749 to 1909.
Masonic Lodge Cemetery
- Associated with Masonic Lodge #4 AF&FM (Ancient Free & Accepted Masons), burials date from 1787 to 1908 and include General Weedon (Revolutionary War general), Benjamin Day (a major in the Revolution), and George Rows (pastor of Salem Church and the African Baptist Church). Also buried here is Willamsburg businesswoman Christina Campbell. In 1956, stones and remains from the cemetery of American Lodge #63 were re-interred along the back wall.
St. George's Cemetery
- St. George's churchyard includes the graves of Colonel John Dandridge (George Washington's father-in-law) and William Paul (brother of John Paul Jones). Burials occurred between 1752 and 1920.
- Though not a cemetery this site recognizes local citizens who died in the service of their country. Many of these are buried in places far distant from Fredericksburg.
Potter's Field/Colored Cemetery
- In 1815 the town council purchased land for a small cemetery that became known as Potter's Field, later the Colored Cemetery. In 1861 the local government set aside a strip of land in this vicinity to bury Confederate soldiers. In 1992, a plaque with their names was placed in the Confederate Cemetery.
- Following the Civil War, the federal government established this cemetery on Willis Hill. This ground includes the remains of more than 15,000 Union soldiers, over 12,000 of whom are unknown.
- This family cemetery, atop Marye's Heights, is enclosed by a brick wall that exhibits battle damage from the December 13, 1862 battle of Fredericksburg. Burials range from 1750 to 1860 and include descendants of Colonel Henry Willis, one of Fredericksburg's founders.
- Brick walls enclose this private cemetery, which opened in 1844 and is still in use today. The original sandstone gateway faces William Street. An early burial is Sidney Smith, killed at the battle of Chapultepec, during the War with Mexico.
- Dedicated in 1870, this ground contains the bodies of more than a thousand Confederate soldiers, re-interred from battlefield graves. A handsome metal gateway faces Washington Avenue. Also buried here are remains of Lucy Ann Cox, who accompanied her soldier-husband when he marched with the 30th Virginia Infantry. Among these Confederates is Lieutenant Colonel Vorin E. Whan, Jr., U.S. Army, killed in the Central Highlands of Vietnam, in 1968.
- This cemetery in active use since 1882, is the burial ground for the Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site and New Site) and the Mount Zion Baptist Church. Burials include many former slaves, such as Joseph Walker, who worked tirelessly with Jason Grant (also buried there) to provide educational opportunities for children of African-American descent.
Mary Washington Monument and the Gordon Cemetery
- The grave of Mary, mother of George Washington, is marked by an obelisk, adjacent to the Gordon Cemetery. Mrs. Washington was buried in 1789. Burials in the family cemetery date from 1799 to 1864. The Gordon family, residents of Kenmore after Fielding Lewis and Betty Washington Lewis were displaced by the Civil War.
Comments 0 comments