←Begun in year 1800 as New Hope Methodist Church on Laurel Grove Plantation 2 miles S. present site. 1833 original building moved to this site and namechanged to Emanuel. Hand hewn pillars and wooden pegs are visible. 1799 George Clark, sent by Bishop Asbury to St. Mary, started Methodist Societies in Glynn Co. 1829 Quarterly Conf. for St. Mary and St. Illa Ct. held here. Wm. Gassoway- pastor; James Helveston- class leader. 1841 St. Illa Ct. (Satilla) became the Brunswick Ct. with Emanuel as one of 11 preaching points. Since 1799 Emanuel has been in continuous service.
|Placed By||Sough Georgia Conference Commission on Archives and History|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 1:15pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 442407 N 3448409|
|Decimal Degrees||31.16828333, -81.60433333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 10.097', W 81° 36.26'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 10' 5.82" N, 81° 36' 15.60" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 118 Ratcliff Rd, Brunswick GA 31523, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.