Trice cemetery, the largest family burial round in Upson County, Georgia, was established by William and Jane Tamplin Trice whose house once stood 300 yards west of the cemetery. William (1789- 1858) and Jane (1794- 1856), both buried here, were among the earliest settlers of Upson County (created December 1824). They moved to Upson from Jones County, Georgia, circa 1823 when the area was still Pike County, formerly Monroe. the oldest marked grave, dated 1837, is that of their daughter, Milly Ann Trice Nelson. In 1857, James Trice, oldest son of William and Jane, commissioned the building of the rock wall surrounding the original cemetery. For this purpose he rented a slave, a skilled rock mason, from another planter. The date is carved into the southwest corner stone. In 1904 additional land was donated by John Reeves Roberts, son-in-law of Milly Ann Nelson, "...for the purpose of providing a burial ground for the relatives of James Trice and such others as may be allowed..." All those buried withinthese walls are either descendants of William and Jane Trice, members of their allied families, or slaves owned by the family. Marble markers now replace the field stones which once marked the graves of the slaves. Trice Cemetery is maintained bycontributions to the Trice Cemetery Memorial Association.