→Founded as Male and Female Seminary in 1852, this was a pioneer school of its kind in Georgia. It was reorganized in 1872 as Gordon Institute, named for General John B. Gordon, famed Confederate soldier, Governor and Senator, who was a friend of Charles E. Lambdin, its first president. In 1927 this school became Gordon Military College, an Honor Military School, an accredited, non-sectarian, five year preparatory Junior College. Graduates have won distinction in many fields of endeavor. Senator Richard B. Russell is numbered among its prominent alumni.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 12:20pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 765856 N 3660045|
|Decimal Degrees||33.04650000, -84.15303333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 2.79', W 84° 9.182'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 2' 47.40" N, 84° 9' 10.92" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||404, 770, 706, 478, 678|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 419 College Dr, Barnesville GA 30204, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.