In 1805 a group of African-Americans, desiring greater freedom of worship, withdrew from Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church to form a separate congregation. Led by Peter Spencer and William Anderson, they established what was then known as the African M. E. Church at 9th and French Streets. This was Delaware's first church to be organized by African-Americans. The original house of worship was replaced by a new brick structure on the site in 1870. It was formally renamed Ezion Methodist Episcopal Church in 1885, and was rebuilt the following year after a devastating fire. The congregation continued to worship there until 1971. Mount Carmel Methodist Episcopal Church was established on Forrest Street in 1920 by a group of Wilmington residents who had migrated from lower Delaware. The congregation later moved to 504 E. 11th Street, and in 1942 they relocated again to 924 Lombard Street. On February 14, 1971, the congregations of the two churches officially merged to form Ezion-Mt. Carmel United Methodist Church. Construction of the present building was commenced in February 1973. The new church was formally consecrated on April 28, 1974.