In the early 1880's, former slaves organized a congregation and held church services near a grove of laurel on Beulah Road. The trustees including Middleton Braxton, George Carroll, Thornton Gray, and William Jasper focused on education. In 1881, Georgianna and William Jasper, a former slave of William Hayward Foote of Hayfield Plantation, deeded one-half acre from his thirteen acre farm to the segregated Virginia School System for $10.00. The school served the community until 1932. In 1884, the Jaspers deeded another half acre for construction of a sanctuary next to the school.