Built in 1912, this structure was originallya simple one-room brick cube with barredwindows an an armored door. It was used to house offenders for short periods forfighting, public drunkenness and similarminor offenses.
In 1928, the City of Pembroke purchasedan 1897- vintage two-unit prefabricationcell from the old Bryan County Seat ofClyde, Georgia when that town wasdemolished to make way for the developmentof Camp Stewart by the U.S. Army. Theiron cell was dismantled, shipped bywagon to Pembroke, and then reassembledinside the jail building. The improved jail remained in operation until the 1950s,when it was retired.
In 2003, the Old City Jail was restored as amuseum by the Pembroke City Councilwith the guidance and assiatance of acommittee of dedicated citizens:
Mariam Bush, Committe Chair
Audrey Marshall · Renee' Houser · Evelyn Barone · Al Chassereau
Renovation by: M. Smith Construction · Purcell Heating and Air
This historic preservation project wasfunded by the Pembroke City Councilwith additional funding provided by aLocal Assistance Grant from the Georgia Legislature.