In 1611, Farrar's Island was the site of the "Citie of Henrico," one of Virginia's first four primary settlement areas under the Virginia Company of London. Later, it was part of a 2,000-acre land patent issued posthumously to William Farrar in 1637. Farrar, who arrived in Virginia from London in 1618 aboard the Neptune, invested in the company under its third charter. In 1626, Governor Sir George Yeardley appointed Farrar to the governor's Council, a position he occupied until 1632. He also served as a justice for two counties. Farrar family members resided on the island until they sold it to Thomas Randolph on 26 Jan. 1727.