This is a typical load of 10,000 board feet of logs, as harvested during the lumber boom, about 1885. The logs were marked and piled at the river's edge. In the spring, they were floated down the Menominee River to the various booms of the thirty saw mills located here.
After cutting, most of the lumber was transported to Chicago by sailing schooners.
Peter Weber, who has contributed much to the preservation of forest lands, donated this load of logs, the Marinette Marine Corporation, Harold Derusha, president, donated the sleigh and horses in memory of David Andre Derusha, born September 8, 1959 and Dexter Thomas Caley, born November 30, 1939, who both died on May 7, 1966, the day these logs were placed here.
Comments 0 comments