On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of
Named in honor of the family who contributed substantially to the economic success of the community, Swords has its roots in the success of the J.B. Swords Distillery. This industrial operation was an early manufacturer of whiskey and was a contemporary to Jack Daniels Distillery. Swords developed in proximity to the community of Blue Springs, one of the earliest communities in Morgan County. Blue Springs derived its name for the healthy natural water sources located in this area, which was an essential resource for Swords Distillery. In addition to the distillery, farms in the area produced cotton and timber, and in 1910 the Georgia Railroad constructed a side track and depot in Swords which facilitated easier transport for these commodities.
Formally incorporated by the Georgia Legislature on August 16, 1909, the Swords community boasted of a bank, post office, school building, and jail. Its commercial center boasted of a general supply store, blacksmith shop, grist mill, cotton gin, and several cotton warehouses. The Swords Methodist Church was constructed in 1912, and a community cemetery is located on Blue Springs Road in proximity to Lake Oconee. Prohibition in the 1920s brought about the demise of the distillery business. The reduction in the demand for passenger rail caused the removal of the depot in 1956, and the commercial center of Swords was destroyed by fire in the 1980s.
Though no longer incorporated, because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Swords is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
Comments 0 comments