Louisa County. Located in the heart of the Virginia Piedmont,this rural county was named for Louisa,a daughter of George II. It was formedfrom Hanover county in 1742, the countyseat is Louisa. Among the county's historicresources is the Green Springs HistoricDistrict including Boswell's Tavern, whichwas used on one occasion during theRevolution as headquarters of the Marquisde Lafayette. Other landmarks includethe monumental Louisa bounty courthouseand the old jail.
takes its name from an 18th-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of England's Queen Anne. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. Among the county's outstanding architectural and historic resources are those included in the Bremo Historic District (Upper Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess) along with those in the Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. There at the county seat of Palmyra, a temple-form courthouse design by Gen. John Hartwell Cocke dominates a small cluster of court structures.