(? mile northeast and 5 miles to the south southeast)The civilized world first heard of copper in this area from Texas Rangers after an 1860 campaign against Comanches on the Pease River, about 100 miles to the northwest. The Ranger Captain, Lawrence S. ("Sul") Ross, later to serve Texas as Governor, had nuggets picked off the surface of the ground and hauled to Austin. In 1861, Assistant State Geologist S.B. Buckley charted the mineral site. The Rangers' ore haul was processed and used in gun caps for Confederate forces during the Civil War. To get more of the needed metal, the Texas Copper Mining & Manufacturing Company was founded on May 28, 1864, but wartime shortage of men apparently prevented recovery of copper at that time. The T.C.M.&M. Co., based in Dallas, sent W.F. Cummings to Archer County in 1880 to open mining sites. Although the Texas Commissioner of Agriculture and Statistics reported in 1882 that no mining had commenced, ore eventually was hauled out and shipped to smelters in the east. No central vein or deposit could be found.
|Placed By||State Historical Survey Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 3:19am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 527229 N 3723048|
|Decimal Degrees||33.64693333, -98.70635000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 38.816', W 98° 42.381'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 38' 48.96" N, 98° 42' 22.86" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 83 Unnamed Road, Archer City TX 76351, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.