About 800 feet south of this point, on the south bank of the Muskingum River is the site of theFortified Settlement
Erected in April, 1799, by Nicholas Coburn, Robert Allison, Nathan Kinney, William Davis and their families, and Oliver Dodge, Daniel Davis, Joseph Simons and Asa Coburn.
This temporary settlement was used until the end of Indian hostilities when each man began to clear his own land. The colony was organized by Nicholas Coburn. The settlement was located on land owned by Nathan Kinney.
Erected by the people of this communityApril 7, 1938