A charter was granted by King William and Queen Mary in 1693, by fostering "good arts and sciences," and by educating the youth in "good letters and manners," the College has maintained its original mission as "a place of universal study."
The college was transferred to the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1906.
The main structure, now called the Wren Building, erected in 1695, burned in 1705, was rebuilt in 1716 on the original foundation. After several fires and alterations, it was restored in 1928 by Mr. John D. Rockefeller, Jr. The General Assembly met in this building 1700 to 1704, and again 1747 to 1754. It is the oldest academic building in continuous use in the United States.
On the left is the Brafferton, erected as an Indian school in 1723. On the right is the President's House, built in 1732; accidentally burned by French soldiers in 1781, it was restored by Louis XVI in 1786.
Gift of the Class of 1956
Comments 0 comments