Ante-Bellum home of James F. Johnson, attorney, planter, merchant, Confederate officer and noted political figure in mid-nineteenth century Georgia. Johnson introduced the legislation which created Clayton County in 1858 and the bill which incorporated the town of Jonesboro in 1859. Col. Johnson knew virtually all of Georgia's political leaders over a period of years and it is reasonable to assume that a number of distinguished Georgians were guests in the Johnson home. The house was acquired from Johnson's widow by Jesse Lewis Blalock, prominent planter, merchant, attorney and member of the pioneering Blalock family of Fayette County. Blalock was elected Clerk of the Fayette Superior Court in 1844 and also served as the first Ordinary of Fayette County. Both Johnson and Blalock represented their respective counties as delegates to Georgia's secession convention and both voted to take Georgia out of the Union in January 1861. The house was used as a Confederate commissary and as a field hospital during the Battle of Jonesboro. It is prominently featured in a sketch of Jonesboro drawn by George D. Sayller of the 2nd Iowa Infantry during Gen. Judson Kilpatrick's cavalry raid Aug. 19th, 1864.
Source: A History of Clayton County, Georgia 1821-1983by Joseph Henry Hightower Moore