A mile north of here, on Oatlands Road, stands the stone and stucco building, erected in 1854 as Loudoun and Mechanical Institute. Its three founders were prominent County agrarian scientists. Unfortunately, America's first agricultural college, Loudoun A&M, failed to thrive and in 1860 folded.
On June 17, 1863, John Singleton Mosby and his Rangers were resting at the school's site and observed the dust clouds from the ferocious Battle of Aldie taking place here.
In 1916, the school building and property became the headquarters of the National Beagle Club, where today are held the annual beagle trials. In 1982, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.