Anthony Wayne Parkway
[Text on Front Side]:
On Sept. 21, 1812, Col. William Jennings, with his regiment of Kentucky riflemen, was ordered by Gen. W. H. Harrison to cut a road from Fort Barbee at St. Marys to a point midway between that place and Defiance, and there establish a fort. The post was completed on this site in October, 1812, and named in honor of its builder.
The road begun by Col. Jennings was later extended to Fort Winchester by Col. Poague, builder of Fort Amanda. The Auglaize River Valley then became a major supply artery for Harrison's army, operating to the Northwest. By boat and wagon in the summer and by sled in winter, troops and large quantities of army stores were moved through here to the scenes of the major actions.
The town of Ft. Jennings was founded in 1847.
[Text on Reverse Side]:
The War of 1812
In the Northwest
On June 18, 1812, a war began which is considered to be the final phase of the American Revolution. In the Northwest, early actions were disastrous to the United States. The British, under General Proctor and the Indians under Tecumseh, captured Mackinac Island; took Fort Dearborn (Chicago); forced General Hull to surrender his army at Detroit; and massacred General Winchester's Army on the River Raisin at Frenchtown (Monroe, Michigan). The way was open for an invasion of Ohio.
In the spring and summer of 1813, the enemy failed in two attempts to take Fort Meigs, General Harrison's bastion on the Maumee. The tide turned in favor of the Americans. In August, Major Croghan made his staunch stand at Fort Stephenson (Fremont), and, in September, Commodore Perry swept the British fleet from the lakes in the Battle of Lake Erie near Put-In-Bay. General Harrison then invaded Canada and on October 5th won a decisive victory in the Battle of the Thames. Tecumseh was killed in this battle and the war, to all intents, was over in the Northwest.
Comments 0 comments