American Blockhouse - 1777

American Blockhouse - 1777 (HMCPF)

Location: Orwell, VT 05760 Addison County
Buy Vermont State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 43° 49.453', W 73° 22.671'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 307 views
Inscription

Mount Independence State Historic Site

"I have also provided timber for two Blockhouses."
- Col. Anthony Wayne, February 4, 1777


In the summer and fall of 1776 American forces concentrated on fortifying the northern point of the rocky Mount Independence peninsula, in anticipation of a British advance from Canada. Along the southeast and southern land-locked perimeters soldiers only had the time to construct log and stone breastworks as a first line of defense against the enemy, should the British attempt to encircle the Mount and assault it from the rear (south).

Col. Anthony Wayne, in command of the under-strength garrison at Mount Independence and Fort Ticonderoga in the grim winter of 1776-1777, was determined to "Render this post tenable and leave it in a much securer and better state." On February 4, 1777, he informed Northern Department commander Gen. Philip Schuyler, "I have also provided timber for two Blockhouses - which will be erected in a few day[s]."

That month, as a second line of defense, the Americans built Wayne's two substantial blockhouses about 600 feet apart on high ground overlooking the southern breastworks. They were 30 by 30 feet square, and two stories tall atop stone foundations. American maps from 1777 show each structure held a force of 100 men and two cannon. Soldiers on the second floor would have had an unlimited view of any enemy advancing by land to attack Mount Independence.

There are no period drawings of these blockhouses. Based on plans of other blockhouses from the time, it is likely that the second story was cantilevered over the first floor. Defending soldiers could fire through holes in the floor of the overhang on any approaching enemy. Each wall would have loopholes for muskets and portholes for cannon.

After the British gained control of Mount Independence on July 6, 1777, they used these blockhouses as part of the defense against their American enemy to the south. When the British evacuated on November 8, 1777, they burned everything, including this blockhouse, only leaving behind stones from the foundation, lumps of charcoal, some nails, and the ruined fireplace.

Respect our history. Take only photographs.
Details
HM NumberHMCPF
Tags
Placed ByMount Independence State Historic Site
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, September 21st, 2014 at 4:16am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)18T E 630438 N 4853628
Decimal Degrees43.82421667, -73.37785000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 43° 49.453', W 73° 22.671'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds43° 49' 27.18" N, 73° 22' 40.26" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)802
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 28 Shoales Dr, Orwell VT 05760, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?