"It must once have been a quite pretty place, and consisted of a large number of scattered private houses, several of them very good ones." Col. Theodore Lyman, USA, June 16, 1864
The village of City Point dates to 1613. Prior to the Civil War, the hamlet boasted 25 houses, five wharves, three taverns, and, most importantly to the Union Army, the railroad. A few of the pre-war structures remain, preserved as part of the City Point Historic District.
Civil War first came to City Point in the spring of 1862, when Union gunboats shelled the hamlet. With the arrival of the union army two years later, City Point underwent a dramatic transformation. Around the village a temporary city grew: more than 280 new structures, acres of wharves, and thousands of soldiers.