On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community ofReese
Originally, the community of Reese was known as Ebenezer, and it has been identified as a community that grew up along an old post road near the Little River. As early as 1839, historic maps identify the community as Ebenezer in Durdin's Militia District, and it isn't until around the turn of the century that it comes to be known as Reese. An application for a new post office location from 1882 addressed to Mr. Joseph Reese indicates that there is already a post office with the name of Ebenezer. This suggests that the name of Reese was given for a family in the area. A handwritten note on that same record indicates that "all maps of Georgia have in Morgan County Ebenezer, which is the location of the proposed post office of Reese, Morgan County, Georgia," which corresponds the location of Reese and Ebenezer.
In addition to a post office, the community of Reese boasted a school and a general store. A marker at the former site of Milton Chapel identifies that the church and cemetery served the community of Reese between 1895 in 1940. In close proximity north of Reese was the small community of Austin, which boasted of a cotton gin, post office and general store.
Because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Reese is recognized as a significant part of our county history.