Built in 1844 for Norman Stewart, a Scottish tobacco merchant, the house was rented from his nephew, John Stewart, by Gen. Robert E. Lee's family during the Civil War. Following Lee's surrender at Appomattox, he lived here for just over two months. In 1893, John Stewart's widow and daughters donated the house to the Virginia Historical Society, which occupied it until 1958. Subsequently, it was used by the Museum of the Confederacy and Historic Richmond Foundation. The building, the sole survivor of Stewart's Row, is one of the finest Greek Revival town houses in the city.
Comments 0 comments