In early June, 1850, a party of Mormons led by Abner and Thomas Blackburn, Hampton S. Beatie and Joseph Dumont, established a trading post about a mile to the north of this site. In September, as they returned to Salt Lake City, a party of Bannock Indians attacked them and stole most of their horses and livestock. On September 9, 1850, the U.S. Congress created the Utah Territory, which included this section of present-day Nevada. Nine months later, June 1, 1851, John and Enoch Reese, Salt Lake merchants, arrived to establish Mormon Station, the first settlement in present-day Nevada.
On June 17, 1854, the Utah Territorial Legislature created Carson County. Probate Judge Orson Hyde, Judge George P. Stiles, U.S. Marshall Joseph L. Heywood and other Mormons arrived to organize and help colonize the county on June 17, 1855. The original Mormon Station buildings were destroyed in a fire on June 28, 1910 and the lot stood vacant until the present replica of the fort was constructed in 1947-48. On July 24, 1948, Mormons and State Officials dedicated the fort at a Pioneer Day celebration here in Genoa.