Magnolia Cemetery, established in 1850, was named for Magnolia Umbra Plantation, dating back to 1784. The ca. 1800 house built by Col. William Cunnington serves as the cemetery office. This is a fine example of the "rural cemetery" movement, with winding streets and paths, a lake, view of the Cooper River and marsh, and magnolias, live oaks, and other landscaping.
Charleston architect Edward C. Jones designed the cemetery plan, and stonecutters William T., Edwin R., and Robert D. White sculpted many of the fine gravestones and monuments. Notable persons buried here include William Gregg, Robert Barnwell Rhett, William Gilmore Simms, George A. Trenholm, and Horace L. Hunley and members of three crews of the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley.