Begun in 1862, the Confederate Navy Yard occupied both banks of the James River, including the community and port of Rocketts Landing on the north bank. The Yard was the base, construction site, and headquarters for the James River Squadron, commanded by Admiral Raphael Semmes, which included the famous ironclad vessel; C.S.S. Virginia II, as well as other ironclads. Here, too, the Confederate Navy fashioned prototype artillery mounted on a railroad car for General Lee's use at the battle of Savage Station on June 29, 1862. On April 3, 1865, Confederate troops burned the yard and destroyed vessels as a part of the evacuation of Richmond. After the Civil War, Trigg Shipyards continued the tradition of military shipbuilding in this area of Richmond.