This church, organized in 1798 by Bishop Francis Asbury, held its first services in a log meeting house. On July 10, 1798, Middleton McDonald donated the meeting house and ten acres to church trustees Gideon Glaze, John Graham, George Hicklin, Thomas Howze, and William Marlowe.
Rev. William Capers was one of the first and most renowned ministers of Camp Creek. In 1809 he was assigned to the Wateree Circuit, including this and 23 other churches. This sanctuary, the third here, was built of hand-hewn timbers about 1834-35. It was moved about 140 feet closer to the road and renovated in 1952.