The lines in the parking lot represent the outlines of building shown on the 1951 insurance map of Tredegar, below. Three machine shops were constructed in 1872 to manufacture railroad cars and were converted to boiler and machine hops around 1884-1887. By 1887, a series of buildings, represented by lines to the right, had been constructed for the production of horseshoes at Tredegar, including a forge, a machine shop, and storage sheds.
These buildings were long and narrow so that power for equipment could be transmitted through a long system of line shafting that ran along the ceiling. These turned belts that powered lathes, shapers, and other machine equipment.
Workers at the Horseshoe Shops
Workers at the Horseshoe Shops included skilled machinists and iron workers, semi-skilled horseshoe machine operators, and unskilled laborers who moved the raw materials and finished products. Both black and white men worked in the mills, but whites held the majority of skilled jobs.