Keepers of the Light
1851 Isaac Wood
1853 George Goddard
1859 Jerome L. McWilliams
1868 Dr. Joseph L. McWilliams
1875 Mrs. Josephine McWilliams Freeman
1912 William M. Freeman, Jr.
1913 Leonard H. Staubly
1917 Francis E. Butterfield, Jr.
1918 William Simpson
1919 William Yeatman
1920-1932 Leonard H. Staubly
The Blackistone Island (St. Clement's Island) lighthouse was located near there and began service on November 13, 1851. The lighthouse was constructed by John Donohoo of Havre de Grace who also built the Point Lookout Lighthouse, the Piney Point Lighthouse, and the Cove Point Lighthouse in Southern Maryland. The lighthouse remained in operation for 105 years.
During the War between the states, John W. Goldsmith, or nearby St. Patrick's Creek, Maryland, a captain in the Confederate Army, led a raiding party of twelve from the 30 foot sloop Swan
to destroy the lighthouse. On the night of May 19, 1864, Captain Goldsmith landed on the island, destroyed the lamp and lens, and removed the 15 gallons of oil. The lighthouse was spared a more devastating destiny only because the keeper's wife, Mrs. Jerome McWilliams, was soon to deliver a baby.
When the lighthouse returned to active service, it continued to guide vessels safely until erosion threatened its existence. Operations were discontinued in 1932 and by 1935 the installation was transferred to the U.S. Navy. In 1956 vandals set fire to the structure and shortly following the building was demolished for safety reasons.
Maryland's State Boat
The skipjack, the last working boat under sail in North America became a state symbol in 1985. It is used in the seafood industry for dredging oysters in the Chesapeake Bay.
Skipjack on the left: "The Rebecca T. Ruarb" from Tilghman Island on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Behind here is the clipper ship "The Pride of Baltimore II". - Artiste George F. McWilliams.