1849-1926Grace Evelyn Arents worked tirelessly as an urban reformer and philanthropist to improve the daily life of individuals regardless of race, gender, or class. She developed a church complex that included St. Andrews Episcopal Church, St. Andrew's School, the Grace Arents Free Library, a teachers' house, and a medical clinic. Arents also established a night school for working children, built public baths and playgrounds, and funded numerous social programs. She supported the formation of the Instructive Visiting Nurse Association. Her legacy continues in the activities of St. Andrew's Church, St. Andrew's School, and the William Byrd Community House in Oregon Hill.
|Marker Number||SA 80|
|Placed By||Department of Historic Resources|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 10:41pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 283308 N 4157817|
|Decimal Degrees||37.54190000, -77.45271667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 32.514', W 77° 27.163'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 32' 30.84" N, 77° 27' 9.78" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 800-898 Idlewood Ave, Richmond VA 23220, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.