This house, located on a part of original town lot #4, was built about 1850. It was the home of Bushrod Crawford who also operated a store in the building with his brother Absalom. Brushrod Crawford ran against John Hughes in February of 1861 for Delegate to the State Convention to be held in Richmond, Va. Bushrod favored secession; Hughes did not. Hughes was elected, but changed his mind at the convention and voted for secession. Bushrod, Absalom, and their families fled south in July of 1861, as did many others in Beverly, leaving the store vacant for the Federals to occupy.
While in Beverly in July of 1861, General McClellan made his headquarters here. The telegraph office was moved to this building from the home of Bushrod's brother, Adam Crawford. Federal troops remained in Beverly throughout the war, and continued to use this building for a headquarters.
"We have annihilated the enemy in Western Virginia ... Our success is complete and secession is killed in this country."
General George B. McClellan
Telegram from Beverly, July 14, 1861
The 6 bay two-story building has a front facing ell which was the store wing. A two-story four-bay porch with lattice and square posts crosses the front. The traditional entrance door is divided wood with flat-headed transom and divided sidelights. The building once had 9/6 windows and an entrance door for the store onto the sidewalk where the west front window is now placed.