The Farmer's Academy (later Planter's Academy) was incorporated Dec. 19, 1822 by Act of Legislature signed by Gov. John Clark. Trustees included Bailey Bell, Adam Carson, Kinchen P. Thweatt, James Lockett, Cyrus Cotton, Samuel Barron and William Cowan. Early teachers were Wilson Whatley, William Whatley, Joe Carson, J. R. Jenkins, J. A. Bowers, James F. Barron. Family names on the school rolls were Barron, Hunt, Brown, Jones, Green, Hascall, Henseley, Whatley and Walker. The academy building was burned by Sherman's forces in November 1864 and was never rebuilt.