Patterson 200 Years
The Fellowship Hall
(Presbyterian Church "Parish House")
Originally called "The Parish House," the Fellowship Hall was given to the Presbyterian Church by the Paterson Family between 1868 and 1877 while the Reverend James Baird was minister. It was built on part of the land which had been purchased by the trustees from Thomas Townsend and his wife in 1793. That purchase included, in addition to a quarter of an acre on the other side of the road where a Meeting House was built, an acre on this side, part of which was still unused. The Putnam County map of 1867 shows the District School Building (now the Grange Hall) in its present location, but no building on this site yet.
The Fellowship Hall has undergone more changes and additions to its original structure than any of the other buildings in the District. The kitchen, three classrooms, bathrooms and the stage were added in 1929 and two more classrooms were added and the building was renovated again between 1956 and 1962. Another extensive renovation was recently completed by the present Session, with the help and support of the community and volunteers.
On of the first Boy Scout Troops in the area met here between 1910 and 1913, and many theatrical performances were given between 1924 and 1951, directed by Mrs. Horace Hillery when her husband was minister. Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, located in Putnam Lake, shared the building form 1970 10 1990, holding CCD classes and other activities here. In addition to Session meetings, church suppers, the Sunday School and, occasional services, the building is now used regularly by many outside groups including Alcoholics Anonymous and The Hudson Valley Folk Guild. It is also available and often used for theatrical and musical performances, lectures, wedding receptions, and dinners.
This building has always been and continues to be a beloved and well-used resource to both the Church and the community.