In June 1945 the scene nearby would have included the multiple tracks, gas-electric combine, electric substation, and passenger station shown below.
As of 1912 Bluemont Junction served as the hub of the multi-line Washington & Old Dominion Railway. One line ran between Georgetown and Great Falls. The other was the former Southern Railway branch between Alexandria and Bluemont, Virginia.
To serve commuters from the Virginia suburbs and vacationers traveling from the city to resort towns in western Loudoun County, the W&OD's owners moved the eastern passenger terminal from downtown Alexandria to Georgetown. Much freight traffic, however, still moved in and out of Alexandria. All eastbound and westbound trains, whether they carried people or freight, now passed through Bluemont Junction.