Located on lot No. 29 of the 1802 town plat, this land was bought by William H. Van Sickle in 1868 for $800. The house was built a short time later. Van Sickle was the grandson of one of Lebanon's founders, Ephraim Hathaway. A village councilman and owner of a nearby grocery on Mulberry Street, Van Sickle died here in 1888.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Van Sickle's daughter, Eloise, and her husband, Joseph P. Rawles, a local druggist, lived here well into the 1900s. Made in the Italianate style, the house is in the largest of Lebanon's four historic districts, the East End. In this area nearly 200 homes, built for the town's middle class in the late 1800s, remain relatively unaltered.