From 1877 until 1880, several private schools served residents of the Taylor area. In 1880 a public institution, The Stock Company School, was built and maintained by a group of private citizens. A school for black children of the community opened the following year.
In 1883 a bond election passed which provided revenue for maintaining public schools in Taylor. Augustus Hill, former head of the Bastrop Academy, became the first Superintendent. He presided over a ten-grade system, which consisted of a three-room building for all primary, grammar, and high school classes, as well as the small negro school. Because of increased enrollment, a three-story building was erected in 1890, and a greater variety of subjects was offered to the students. In later years surrounding school districts were annexed, greatly increasing the size of the Taylor public schools. In 1950 the schools were removed from municipal control with the creation of the Taylor Independent School District.
For a century the Taylor schools have been a source of pride for the community, while citizens have been faithful supporters of public education. Graduates of the Taylor schools, include numerous business, professional and civic leaders.