Mother of all Texas colleges and universities. Absorbed charters of Rutersville College, Fayette County (1840), and Wesleyan Male and Female College, San Augustine (1844), chartered by the Republic of Texas; McKenzie College, Clarksville (1848), and Soule University, Chappell Hill (1856). Georgetown citizens offered land, money and moral support when about 1870 it seemed wise to supplant the several pioneer Methodist institutions with a single church-related university. The community's work with church leaders resulted in location of "Texas University" here.
A distinguished and devoted educator, Dr. Francis Asbury Mood (1830-1884), was the founding regent (or administrator). The Georgetown College Plant (7 blocks W) was donated by the city. Classes began Oct. 6, 1873.
Upon ceding the name "Texas University" to the state, Southwestern University was chartered on Feb. 6, 1875, and specifically granted all rights and privileges given earlier to Rutersville, Wesleyan, and McKenzie Colleges, and Soule University.
Women students were first admitted in 1878. The "Ladies Annex" was opened (1889) on present campus. This became permanent site of Southwestern University with construction of present main building, 1898-1900.