In 1866 Dr. William D. Boaz established the first commercial apple orchard in Covesville. These orchards specialized in the Albemarle Pippin, which became one of the most prized and profitable apple varieties grown in Virginia. By 1890 the success of this variety, shipped as far away as England and France, helped the Boaz orchards become one of the most productive commercial orchards in Virginia. As the business grew, it spurred the development of many of Covesville's buildings, including apple-packing plants, cider mills, workers' housing, stores, depots, and cooperages. Several of these sites remain within the Covesville Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.